Opening a Business in the Borough
Are you starting a new business or looking to invest and expand in New Cumberland Borough? We’re here to help! Our administrative office is the first point of contact for new or existing businesses, and developers looking to invest or expand within the Borough. We welcome and encourage prospective businesses to contact our Director of Community & Economic Development to schedule a meeting, which will include the Borough Manager.
New Cumberland Borough has ordinances that impact opening or relocating a business in the Borough within an existing building. We recommend you review the New Cumberland Borough Zoning Ordinance prior to purchasing a building or signing a lease.
The following guide is designed to help you navigate the process. This is a guide and additional steps or requirements may apply to each unique situation.
- Locate the parcel on the Zoning Map and check the permitted uses of the zoning district in the Zoning Ordinance for the location you want to occupy.
- If the use is permitted in the Zoning District, then move to Step 2.
- If the use is not permitted or permitted by Conditional Use, before purchasing a building or signing a lease meet with the Zoning Officer and refer to the Zoning Ordinance.
- Determine if the location meets the number of required off-street parking spaces.
- Look up the required minimum number of parking spaces in the Zoning Ordinance.
- If you have enough parking, then move to Step 3.
- If the location does not have enough off-street parking spaces, before purchasing a building or signing a lease meet with the Zoning Officer and refer to the Zoning Ordinance.
- Obtain approval of the use from the Zoning Officer.
- Complete and file a Zoning Permit Application.
- Please note that you may need a zoning permit for your place of business sign. Refer to the signs section in the Zoning Ordinance.
- Return application to the Borough Office along with the current fee (Borough has up to 30 days to review).
If the permit is approved, then move to Tenant Fit Out.
TENANT FIT OUT
- Review the Building Permit Application and discuss the project with the Zoning Officer to determine if you need a building permit to make improvements to the property.
- Generally, a building permit will be required. If a building permit is required, move to Step 2.
- If it is determined a building permit is not required, the Zoning Officer will assist with completing the process to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy. In all cases a Certificate of Occupancy must be obtained prior to opening any business.
- If it’s determined that a building permit is required, a Building Permit Application must be obtained and submitted to the Borough’s third-party building code inspection agency, Approved Code Services – (717) 506-0464. A copy of the approved Zoning Permit must be submitted with the Building Permit Application.
- Approved Code will review the application and detailed construction plans for compliance with the Uniform Construction Code (UCC) and Accessibility Code requirements (by law they have 30 days to review). A permit will be issued upon the approval of construction plans and the payment of fees.
- Improvements shall be inspected at appropriate intervals during the construction phase as determined by Approved Code. The scheduling of inspections is the responsibility of the applicant.
- A Certificate of Occupancy is issued by Approved Code upon final approval of the improvements.
- A copy of the Certificate of Occupancy shall be provided to the Borough Office by the tenant within 10 days of receipt and prior to opening to the public.