Large Item Collection
One large household item per week will be collected from a residence by Penn Waste, Inc. on any regular collection day. This service is only available to residential customers included in the Borough’s trash collection and recycling contract.
Appliances containing Freon (air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, etc.) will be collected by appointment only. Call Penn Waste at (717) 767-4456 or (866) 575-8720 at least 48 hours prior to the regular collection day.
The following items will NOT be collected:
- Paints, stains, chemicals, and liquids
- Electronics – Since 2013, by law Penn Waste stopped collecting electronic waste. New Cumberland Borough residents can recycle their electronics at Cumberland County’s Electronics Recycling Center is located at 1001 Claremont Road in Carlisle. Visit their website here for more information.
- Automobile parts
- Household hazardous waste
- Tires on rims
- Commercial/industrial waste
- Construction material or debris:
drywall, brick, block, treated lumber, roofing shingles, ceiling tiles, concrete, doors, windows
- Brush and branches should be cut into four-foot lengths, securely bundled and placed with regular trash. View Yard Waste Collection Guidelines.
- Appliances containing Freon (refrigerator, air conditioner) require calling Penn Waste for appointment
- Carpet 48″ max. length, rolled & tied
- Mattresses & box springs
- Car tires only (1 per week – must be off rim)
- Scrap metal 48″ max. length
- No loose piles. All small items must be boxed.
- No items which are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people
In addition, there will be two “YARD WASTE COLLECTIONS” yearly in April and October. Place yard waste in biodegradable brown paper bags or bundle it with biodegradable twine. Bundles may not be larger than 4 feet in length or more than 30 pounds in weight. Branches may not exceed 6″ in diameter. Grass clippings will not be accepted. For Leaf Collection, click here.