It is hard to believe that summer is almost over and shortly the kids will be back at school.
The New Cumberland Police Department would like you to keep these safety tips in mind when traveling in New Cumberland Borough.
- Watch your speed in school zones! Be aware that school zone speed limits may vary in hours of operation but are always 15 MPH. Please note that the speed limit on all Borough roads and alleys outside the school zone is 25 mph.
- New Cumberland Borough is a walkable town. Slowdown in residential areas. Watch for children crossing the street and congregating near bus stops.
- Do not pass a school bus that stops to load or unload children. Traffic in both directions on all borough roadways must stop when students are entering or exiting a school bus (the red flashing lights and extended stop sign arms are your cues to stop).
- Be alert! The area ten (10) feet around a school bus is where children are in the most danger of being struck. Children walking to and from their bus are usually very comfortable with their surroundings and more likely to take risks, ignore hazards, or fail to look both ways when crossing a street.
- Watch for bikes. Children on bicycles are unpredictable.
- Always stop when directed to do so by a school patrol sign, a Police Officer, or a designated crossing guard.
- If you are dropping off or picking up children from school use the designated drop off/pick-up zone. Follow the rules established by the school when completing this task.