It’s fun to decorate for the winter holidays, but holiday decorations can increase your risk for a home fire. As you deck the halls this season be fire smart and follow these safety tips.
Did you know?
- The top three days of the year for home candle fires are Christmas, New Year’s Day, and New Year’s Eve. Never leave a burning candle unattended. Consider using battery-operated flameless candles.
- Nearly half of holiday decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source. Keep your live Christmas tree away from heat sources and room exits.
Other Safety Tips
- Only use decorations that are flame-retardant or not flammable.
- Check holiday lights each year for frayed wires or excessive wear.
- Don’t link more than three strands of holiday lights.
- Water your live Christmas tree daily to keep it from becoming dry.
- Keep all holiday lights OFF when there is no one around to keep a check on them.